The Seattle Electric Vehicle Association (SEVA) is an all-volunteer group of Seattle-area folks who are passionate about all things having to do with electric cars. Our members run the gamut from brand new Tesla owners to folks who have been converting old gasoline cars since the 1980’s.
We participate in car shows, educational events and political events having to do with electric vehicle legislation. But we mostly get together to have some plain, old fun at our free monthly meetings and by simply driving around on our zero-emission wheels.
SEVA also serves as a gateway to the latest press and information on and about electric vehicles. Jump on in to see what’s happening in the world of electric cars!
Car Shows and “EVents” 2019!
If calendar doesn’t load properly, please hit “refresh” on your browser button- thanks!
Other EV EVENTS:
- ONGOING: Tesla Owners Club of the PNW (TOCPNW) has an events calendar up: https://tocpnw.org/events/
Some events are private, but some are open to the public, and in fact some are meant as outreach. Not all are local.
The Washington sales tax break will be revived as of August 1, 2019. It was expanded from the previous version to also apply to sales of used electric cars. As before, electric vehicle leases also get a sales tax break. Hydrogen fuel cell electric vehicles could also qualify for the tax break, but no Pacific Northwest dealers currently stock or sell new hydrogen-powered cars.
To qualify for Washington’s tax abatement, a new vehicle’s sales price has to be less than $45,000 and a used electric passenger vehicle less than $30,000. These thresholds are meant to screen out buyers of high-end Teslas and BMWs. Oregon’s rebate program operates with the same philosophy, but uses as its eligibility cutoff a base model MSRP of less than $50,000.
The Washington sales tax break is structured to ramp down and then phase out completely after six years.
For the first two years beginning this August, $25,000 of a new alternative fuel vehicle’s price is sales tax free. The untaxed portion shrinks to $20,000 in 2021 and then down to $15,000 in 2023. For used EVs, $15,000 of the sales price is tax free throughout the period.
The sales tax break is scheduled to expire on July 31, 2025.
The revived and modified sales tax break passed the Washington Legislature with bipartisan support, but with just hours to spare on the last day of the 2019 session. It passed in the state Senate 31-17. The final vote in the House of Representatives on Sunday was 91-7.
The state incentives in Oregon and Washington are in addition to a federal income tax credit worth up to $7,500 for buyers of certain models of new all-electric vehicles.
FEDERAL ELECTRIC VEHICLE TAX INCENTIVES For 2019
For TESLA only:
|Federal Tax Credit||For Vehicles Delivered|
|$7500||On or before December 31, 2018|
|$3750||January 1-June 30, 2019|
|$1,875||June 30, 2019-December 31, 2019|
For ALL OTHER electric vehicle brands:
|Federal Tax Credit||For Vehicles Delivered|
|$7500||Until automakers of each separate, respective brand hit the 200,000 unit sales mark. See link below for more info.|
EV News Headlines
- Pre-Production Polestar 1 Test Driven: Video (9/18/2019) - The ample power available, instant torque and excellent suspension make Polestar 1 a driver's car ...read more
- New partnership gives Ford PHEV drivers access to NewMotion’s European charging network (9/17/2019) - Smart charging company NewMotion, which is a member of the Shell Group, will partner with Ford to provide charging technology and infrastructure for the car maker's PHEVs in Europe. Starting this fall, Ford customers will have access to NewMotion's phone app, charge card, and charging network, including over 118,000 charge ...read more
- BEVs account for 91% of passenger vehicle battery capacity, outpacing PHEVs and hybrids (9/17/2019) - Battery electric vehicles (BEVs) accounted for 91 percent of all passenger EV battery capacity globally in June 2019, according to a recent report on monthly EV battery capacity by Adamas Intelligence. That figure was up from 84 percent a year earlier. Adamas attributes the increase to the sales growth of BEVs ...read more
- BMW i3 To Die Off: Will Not Get A Successor (9/17/2019) - BMW i3 will share the fate of the BMW i8, which recently entered the last limited edition to mark the end of production. ...read more
- Report: EPA to reveal MPG plan, remove California emissions authority (9/17/2019) - The EPA is expected to formally announce Wednesday how it plans to revoke the waiver that permits California to set its own greenhouse-gas standards under the federal Clean Air Act, according to media reports. The timeline for the move, which is aimed to lay the groundwork for a single set ...read more