The Seattle Electric Vehicle Association (SEVA) is an all-volunteer group of Seattle-area folks who are passionate about all things having to do with electric cars. Our members run the gamut from brand new Tesla owners to folks who have been converting old gasoline cars since the 1980’s.
We participate in car shows, educational events and political events having to do with electric vehicle legislation. But we mostly get together to have some plain, old fun at our free monthly meetings and by simply driving around on our zero-emission wheels.
SEVA also serves as a gateway to the latest press and information on and about electric vehicles. Jump on in to see what’s happening in the world of electric cars!
Car Shows and “EVents” 2019!
If calendar doesn’t load properly, please hit “refresh” on your browser button- thanks!
Other EV EVENTS:
- ONGOING: Tesla Owners Club of the PNW (TOCPNW) has an events calendar up: https://tocpnw.org/events/
Some events are private, but some are open to the public, and in fact some are meant as outreach. Not all are local.
The Washington sales tax break will be revived as of August 1, 2019. It was expanded from the previous version to also apply to sales of used electric cars. As before, electric vehicle leases also get a sales tax break. Hydrogen fuel cell electric vehicles could also qualify for the tax break, but no Pacific Northwest dealers currently stock or sell new hydrogen-powered cars.
To qualify for Washington’s tax abatement, a new vehicle’s sales price has to be less than $45,000 and a used electric passenger vehicle less than $30,000. These thresholds are meant to screen out buyers of high-end Teslas and BMWs. Oregon’s rebate program operates with the same philosophy, but uses as its eligibility cutoff a base model MSRP of less than $50,000.
The Washington sales tax break is structured to ramp down and then phase out completely after six years.
For the first two years beginning this August, $25,000 of a new alternative fuel vehicle’s price is sales tax free. The untaxed portion shrinks to $20,000 in 2021 and then down to $15,000 in 2023. For used EVs, $15,000 of the sales price is tax free throughout the period.
The sales tax break is scheduled to expire on July 31, 2025.
The revived and modified sales tax break passed the Washington Legislature with bipartisan support, but with just hours to spare on the last day of the 2019 session. It passed in the state Senate 31-17. The final vote in the House of Representatives on Sunday was 91-7.
The state incentives in Oregon and Washington are in addition to a federal income tax credit worth up to $7,500 for buyers of certain models of new all-electric vehicles.
FEDERAL ELECTRIC VEHICLE TAX INCENTIVES For 2019
For TESLA only:
|Federal Tax Credit||For Vehicles Delivered|
|$7500||On or before December 31, 2018|
|$3750||January 1-June 30, 2019|
|$1,875||June 30, 2019-December 31, 2019|
For ALL OTHER electric vehicle brands:
|Federal Tax Credit||For Vehicles Delivered|
|$7500||Until automakers of each separate, respective brand hit the 200,000 unit sales mark. See link below for more info.|
EV News Headlines
- Shell installs first ABB EV fast charger in Singapore (8/24/2019) - Shell subsidiary Greenlots has installed an ABB DC fast charger in Singapore, the first of 10 to be installed at Shell stations in the country over the next few months. Singapore has amped up its efforts to establish an EV infrastructure in anticipation of increased demand. In October, it attracted Dyson ...read more
- Nissan LEAF Sales Keep Going Strong In Ireland In July 2019 (8/24/2019) - Nissan LEAF turns out to be still the top-selling electric car in Ireland so far this year (after winning all the years 2011-2018, besides 2013). ...read more
- Quick Look At The Bentley EXP 100 GT At Monterey Car Week (8/24/2019) - Bentley EXP 100 GT - the most extraordinary all-electric concept. ...read more
- Tesla Expands Car Sales To Poland, Hungary, Romania And Slovenia (8/24/2019) - Tesla customers can now order the Model 3, Model S and Model X also in Poland, Hungary, Romania and Slovenia. ...read more
- Chevy Bolt range, inside Porsche Taycan, EV avoiders: The Week in Reverse (8/24/2019) - Which car will be the first to incorporate Apple Music streaming? What Tesla products were allegedly linked to fires? This is our look back at the Week In Reverse—right here at Green Car Reports—for the week ending August 23, 2019. Forget the August doldrums. This week brought lots of news ...read more